[OM] Re: Fwd: Is lower ISO always lower noise?--perhaps not

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Is lower ISO always lower noise?--perhaps not
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 22:11:21 -0800
I think there is an assumption being made here that may or may not be
true. Smaller increment ISO is not new. For example, it has been on
Nikons since the D1X and devising a system to adjust the gain in small
increments would not seem to be a problem. It seems just as likely to
me that since on chip noise reduction is going on, admitted or not,
and how it is applied is a much newer problem with the amazing
shrinking photo site, what you may be seeing is a noise reduction
setting for each full stop ISO. That would give the same effect.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA