[OM] Re: E-1 bits & parts advice

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 bits & parts advice
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:27:08 -0600
> I think I know what your next question will be - what's the extra cost of
> kaesemann filter giving me?

Here's how it was explained to me. Polarizing filters are made by
sandwiching a layer of plastic polarizing material between two thin pieces
of glass, as it is impossible to make polarizing glass. The sandwich
delaminates over time, a process accelerated by heat and humidity. The
Kaesemann filter adds an extra step to the manufacturing and the cost by
sealing the edge in some special way.

For whatever reason, there are supposed to be only a few places that can
make these polarizing filters, and that's why Tiffen's are made in Japan and
bear a ressemblance to other brands.

Bill Pearce