[OM] Re: Burma [partially OT camera]

Subject: [OM] Re: Burma [partially OT camera]
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 19:43:44 +0100
>I also thank Moose for pointing me to your site and the Burma shots. It
>was very enjoyable browsing through. Excellent shots & site.
>
>Did you code the site yourself?

Thanks Russ.

Yes, I did code the site myself. I wanted to be able to customize it exactly as
I wanted. My aim was to have the thumbnails and the currently displayed shot on
the same page: I don't like having to go back to an index page. In a first
version of the site, I had the thumbnails on the left third of the page, and
the displayed shot on the right. It was OK, but I found that the thumbnails
were competing for attention with the "main" shot (the currently viewed one).
Thus I used a system where the page with the thumbnails is partially "obscured"
while the shot is displayed.

The pages contain actually little code: only "placeholders" in HTML, with a
list of the pictures and various elements (legends, positions in the "map"
pages etc.) at the top, which are placed at runtime into the page by javascript
code, and CSS for the display style.

I have also written a small program which allows me to organize the pictures,
write the legends (in English and French), and generate the "item lists" which
I then only have to paste at the top of my "template" HTML pages. The system
works well now, and seems to work reasonably well on the various browsers I
have tried (not IE5 though).

Bernard