[OM] Re: Weather in the Bay Area?

Subject: [OM] Re: Weather in the Bay Area?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:53:02 -0800
Michael Collins wrote:
> Hope all is well in MooseLand, California seems to be under serious siege by
> the weather. But maybe the Bezerkeley hills are a safe zone...?

Thanks for the concern, Michael. It has indeed been quite rainy and
windy, so I've simply stayed in. So I was surprised to see in the paper
this morning about all the flooding, trucks blown over, bridges and
highways closed - and so on.

At least for this storm, our little home in the hills has been quite
warm, dry and safe.

I'm quite fortunate in other ways, too, as I have no regular need to
commute. I had gone grocery shopping before the string of storms was
due, so there was no need to be out and about at all.

There was actually a bit of blue sky briefly this afternoon, but I
believe another, milder storm is due this evening. It could vene be
raining again right now and I wouldn't know it.

They are apparently calling it the storm of the decade. So I suppose it
must be over ten years since the one in which I tried to get home from
the Mendocino coast. That was quite an interesting adventure, including
the road that disappeared into an impromptu river and the viaduct only
inches above the swollen Russian River, figuring that as soon as it was
blocked, it would go right on over. Toughest part was when we came down
to Cazadero on the tiny, winding, patchwork road over the mountains,
only to find that no one would let us use a bathroom. Everyone was on
septic and the water table was about an inch above ground.

Oh yeah, we just missed Al Gore, who was apparently visiting just a
valley over, where a hillside came down and wiped out a few houses.
Nobody seriously injured, by landslide or Mr. Gore.

Moose