[OM] New Trick for an Old Pony

Subject: [OM] New Trick for an Old Pony
From: "Warren Kato" <wkkato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 23:20:12 -0800
I just got this off of  deep pew review.  I didn't know you could use the
self-timer as a bulb setting for the OM-1, 1N, 2 and 2N. I don't think it
would hurt the camera. This would be good for astro photography and would
obviate the need for a cable release (which is always lost somewhere in the
"other" camera bag).

<<The OM-1, 2, 1N and 2N have mechanical self timers that can be used to
lock the shutter open when shutter speed set to B.
1) mount camera on tripod and place lens cap on the lens.
2) set shutter speed ring to B.
3) set self timer by turning the lever away from the lens mount. Will go to
the 7 o'clock position but don't need to set it that far, 9 o'clock position
will do.
4) activate the self timer by pushing the small tab under the lever towards
the lens mount. You will hear the timer buzzing.
5) when you hear the mirror go up and shutter open, deactivate the self
timer by rotating the small tab away from the lens mount. This will stop the
completion of the self timer and lock the shutter open.
6) Wait a few seconds for the vibrations to damp out. Now remove the lens
cap and you can leave it for whatever time you like.
7) at the end of the exposure, turn the Main self-timer lever away from the
lens mount and the shutter will close.
8) practice this without film so you get used to the sequence.
--
Trevor >>

Warren