[OM] Re: Ergonomics - I must be a bit weird

Subject: [OM] Re: Ergonomics - I must be a bit weird
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:51:22 +1000
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I admit I have never shot with one of those pro cameras or the pro
> wannabee add on vertical grip and I am sure they are wonderful. It is
> just so second nature to rotate the camera without changing the grip I
> can't imagine an "improvement" that requires you to change your grip,
> requires you to get used to a differently shaped grip, and requires
> you to carry an extra pound and a half.

I do not have one for the Canyon 10D, but I did for the older, film
50E/Elan IIE, and it had its distinct advantages for me. Apart from it
being noted (by myself, but by others first) that I tend to take a lot
of photos in portrait, the grip for the 50E had a lip to it along the
bottom that made it natural to carry it around that way (when being
"ever-ready"), and also it felt a lot more comfortable in the hand
taking portrait photos that way, as it was easier to grip.

Of course, being for the "consumer" 50E (not quite "prosumer"), it
didn't way near a "pound and a half", even with its perfectly-sufficient
four AA batteries, so my noting of its pros bears little weight against
that particular con.

I don't know if I'd buy one for the next DSLR I buy. I've got along
quite fine without it on the 10D, though I should perhaps note that I
believe I turn my cameras the "wrong" way for portraits (shutter release
to the bottom). It's far more comfortable for me that way.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz