[OM] Re: Great article

Subject: [OM] Re: Great article
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:16:16 +0000
On 06/01/2008, Ali Shah <alizookoman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/2naae8

His comments about MLU & self-timers, and how neither manufacturer has
got it right yet set me to thinking.  I don't think Oly has got this
right either.  We have MLU in the form of "Anti-shake", which
essentially duplicates the function of a self-timer (except the self
timer doesn't do MLU like OM-2SP and OM-4 used to do, which is
puzzling).  Plus you have to go through the menus to get anti-shake,
then go through the menus again to turn it off  - several times I've
forgotten to do that last step then missed a shot next time I've used
the camera.

So my preferred solution would be something like this:

Dedicated MLU (& aperture pre-fire) button, somewhere around the lens
mount.  Press this and the mirror is released and aperture stopped
down immediately.  Then you press the shutter release, which activates
a timer, whose factory default is zero, and when that's counted down
the shutter fires.  This MLU shutter delay would be configured via the
menus, as anti-shake now is.  Note that this delay is invoked *only*
if the MLU button has been pressed.  Flashing lights for the last
couple of seconds, like you get with a self-timer would be good too.

That would avoid the little pitfall I mentioned, and combine the
functions of anti-shake and self-timer.  Hmm, If one could re-program
the DOF preview button, that could be done in firmware with an E-3.