[OM] Re: Ergonomics - I must be a bit weird

Subject: [OM] Re: Ergonomics - I must be a bit weird
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:08:55 +1000
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Weird what we discover about ourselves. I rarely have headaches, but
> two summers ago I got a couple of killer one when I was out doing
> photography. The culprit turned out to be the little triangular metal
> buckle on my one size fits all cap pressing into my scalp. I did not
> feel any special pressure. Just searing pain on one side of my head
> and face. Had to put the cap on again and get the same response before
> I figured it out.  Very careful about buying a cap now.

Yes, that's an odd one. It's fortunate to have identified it despite its
oddness - suffering seemingly random headaches can be an exercise in
chronic frustration.

I have been getting migraine headaches my entire life (not too bad, as
some do), likely a hereditary thing since my mother has too. It took me
a bit to connect the neck strap with the migraine, as I simply
associated it with walking around the city taking photos (pollution,
glare, noise, tiredness, and so on). Then one day I connected the neck
thing with the fact that lying on my back in bed with a pillow under my
neck can give the twinge-y warnings of a trigger, and took my camera
from around my neck and just carried it in my hand. That particular
cause disappeared.

Funnily enough, my "triggers" seem to have changed. The cliché of
chocolate was never previously a problem for me, but now it can be, as
can sweet, fizzy alcohol (think "ginger beer"), or whisk(e)y. Carrot and
orange juice can sometimes kick like a mule (but sometimes not). Running
is a trigger (I fear that may more be "exercise", though swimming
doesn't seem to set off the bells).

Most of the time, however, there seems no trigger at all. They just
happen. I could go on about my different means of relief, but that's a
whole other subject. :-)

Cheers,
Marc (...though I note a reduction in stress helps ;-) )
Noosa Heads, Oz