[OM] Re: Camera straps [was Ergonomics - I must be a bit weird]

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera straps [was Ergonomics - I must be a bit weird]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:45:09 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> When the camera and lens and flash weighs 2.6kg (5.75lb - D3,
> 24-70mm, SB800) then dammit you're going to be sweating if the
> strap's made of expan steel mesh.

Certainly true. but the neoprene doesn't breath and the material of my
favorite straps, no longer available, of course, is nicely soft,
distributes weight well AND breathes.

Because of the greater area over which they distribute the weight and
the porous nature of the straps, the harnesses I talked about also have
much less sweat problem than a neoprene neck strap.

All very much a matter of personal taste. For moderate time use, I often
just unsnap the neck strap or harness and simply use the hand strap. I
wouldn't try that with a D3 or 1Ds, though.

Why anybody would carry around any such behemoth without need on a job
paying serious money for some function unavailable on another, lighter
camera, is beyond me. You know I'm a low noise hound, but no D3 for me.
I'll wait until Canyon catches up with a 5D successor  or Nykon comes
out with the same sensor system in a lighter body. I'd prefer the Canyon
simply 'cause I've already got lenses.

Moose