[OM] Re: E-1 bits & parts advice

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 bits & parts advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:20:08 -0800
Philippe Dambournet wrote:
> It's pretty frustrating -- I can find no reliable source that
> actually describes all the items in the standard E-1 package with
> clear specs or model identifiers.
>
> The 'video cable' that used to ship with the E-1 is a case in point:
> it cannot be identified, nor can a good substitute.
Are you sure you aren't over thinking this? Most likely, they don't
identify it or sell it as a special part because it is a standard patch
cord.

It looks like a standard 1/8" phone plug, the thing used for innumerable
headphones and low end A/V connections. The ones sold for audio have a
stereo (3 connection) 1/8" phone plug on one end and red and white RCA
phono plugs on the other. The ones sold for monaural video look exactly
the same except one of the phono plugs is yellow, for video. You can use
audio ones, but the video feed is the red plug, which goes into the
yellow socket on the TV/VCR.

Here, you can even see the contacts for the phone plug down in the
socket <http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/Images/connections.jpg>.
> All one can find is a drawing or two suggesting what kinds of connectors it
> has and the presence of a ferrite ring. Even with the manual in hand, there
> is no actual description to be found, there is no model number, and there are
> no specs. What is sold here and there, including by Olympus, just cannot be
> be tagged reliably as being compatible or not with the E-1 as such.
> Manufacturer 'support' information is nonexistent, just a link to an online
> catalog that is full of holes. Oly's own compatibility chart is also full of
> holes.

It's a shame Oly doesn't have better support. Silly also, perhaps, not
to do what Canon does, and package a generic cable under their own name
for more than the same thing without their brand on it.
> Compare that mess with Canon's own support. It took three minutes from start
> to finish to identify the video cable that comes with our little PowerShot
> A75:
>
> <http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=221&modelid=9828
>
> #BoxContentsAct>
>
> Answer: AV Cable AVC-DC300.

Yep, got one sitting right here that came with my A710. Electrically
identical to innumerable other mono video connectors.  And I have
several of the audio version in various lengths. I don't think there is
any difference in the picture using them in practice, which I have done.

If you have the Canon version at hand, just plug it into the E-1. If the
plug fits, it's not going to damage the camera.

Moose