[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:25:21 -0500
Sometimes when hiking in dusty environment will keep a UV filter on and
then remove it to shoot.  Little chance of image degradation, though a
bit of a pain.  Don't worry too much then about the MC.  Use a good one
when want to leave it on.
I obsess less about dust on FE after viewing the classic black tape on
FE experiment posted by Chuck (or was that Dr. Focus)  Might be time
for a rerun.
Mike

>> Can anyone recommend a good type of filter to leave
>>> on all the time?
Not to jump on Moose, but let me save him this answer. None. Filters
are to
be used for a specific effect (and that CAN include keeping salt spray
or
sand from the front element), like polarizing or colored filters for
B&W.
When using a filter, one must balance the good effects of modifying the
photo against the bad effects of adding two glass to air surfaces.

http://webmail.aol.com