[OM] Re: Compact Camera conundrum

Subject: [OM] Re: Compact Camera conundrum
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 03:27:45 -0800
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> .... will require a compact Digicam with broader FL range  for this trip as
> well as for other functions later. I have never tried taking an OM on
> horseback due to the concussion, dirt, water etc but am tempted at least for
> the Monarch sanctuary day. Everthing is typically filthy after a days ride. I
> have only been dumped once when the horse stepped in a hole crossing a rain
> swollen
> stream and was swimming. I had unwisely attempted to keep my boots dry on his
> neck. The XA was fine in its zip lock. The warm Spanish sun corrected the
> other insults.
>
> Anyway had considered the Fuji F50 , F31d (Now very expensive on yabe)
> hacked A710, A720, A650 or a shockproof Oly.
>
> A710/720/650 can take a WA adapter and I think a close up diopter.

Yes, they do all have lens adapters that double as hoods and provide
mechanical protection for the most delicate part, the extended lens.

I have the WA and Tele adapters, but have not used them much. Any 58mm
close-up lens will fit, or larger with step-up ring. The one Canon sells
is the same 2-element lens they sell for their 58mm thread SLR lenses.

With built-in C-U/macro to cover a field 22mm wide, the A710/20 already
do the eq. of almost 1:2 on FF.
> Only the 710 can be hacked thus far.  Afraid I am spoiled after seeing
> the increased capability of Moose's 710 with the CHDK software.
You saw the samples in this week's Moose Monday? I have mixed feelings
about the A710. It's small enough and versatile enough to be really
handy. And up to at least 8x10, it takes nice pictures, especially in
decent daylight. My default setting for bright sun is -2/3 EV to avoid
lost highlights.

The image I used as an example on MM is of a mural in direct sun and
-2/3 EV nailed the exposure, with the histogram just kissing the top.
Otherwise, when not trailing a couple of women in a hurry for brunch,
one may use the live histogram and set exposures with more control. You
may recognize the building
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Travel/Mass/CoolidgeBldg.htm>.
> Looking at the hackers forum it appears it will be quite some time before the
> software can be ported to the Digic 111 with the new OS.  Can still find a
> few 710's new it appears.

Still listed on the Canon web site, along with the A720, so apparently
not discontinued yet.

> .... One may have to pay a very hefty procrastination premium for the F31.
>
> .... I thought the Ricoh R7 might be a sleeper with a 28-200 IS lens (approx
> 300 photos per
> charge--not AA :-( ) and built in flashing blown highlight indicator as well
> as fair macro. Found some good sized examples though no full review:
>
> http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_ricoh_caplio_r7_3.php
>
> Perhaps still look over-processed like the previous Ricohs and the
> purple fringing looked quite apparent. It has a quite NOISY zoom though
> doubt that will spook the horse.

The two user reviews on Amazon care not inviting.
> I've probably missed a bunch of ones to consider.
>
> So it 1) has to be fairly small
>
> 2)IQ trumps other features
> 3) AA plus, though if I must purchase 2 or more  dedicated batteries
> for a much better solution, so be it.
> Mexico is 110V anyway, I think.

Yes, and you can get a cheap solar charger for AAs, more for LiIon.
> Any comments or shoves to a reasonable choice appreciated.

For ruggedness, Oly 790SW

Clear winner for toughness. Zoom range, IQ and battery are against it.
For apparent ruggedness in the build quality, IQ and RAW, G9

I've done some comparisons of the G9 to the F30, treating the G9 like a
6mp camera. I've taken the G9 studio shots from dpreview and used FM's
SI Pro II to downsize them to the same pixel dimensions as the F30.

At iso 80, the G9 meets or beats the F30 at iso 100. The G9 has clearer
detail, center and edge. The F30 has less noise, but it's REALLY close.
I don't think any difference in noise would ever be visible on a print.

At iso 400, it's still a close race with NR. G9 using NeatImage has a
greater detail/sharpness edge than at 80/100. The F30 edge in noise is
also greater than at 80/100 and there are some subtle artifacts in the
G9 image.

This was all using jpegs, as they didn't publish any RAW studio shots.
The battery life means some kind of charging device/arrangement might be
needed in addition to two batteries. Only you know how much you shoot.
For AA and IQ, A650

The reviewers all say the A650 has the same sensor system as the G9, so
I'm assuming at this point that what I said above for the G9 would be
true for the A650. But it is entirely possible that the A650 has
different jpeg processing parameters for the different target market.
The G9 doesn't seem to have the excessive sharpening in jpegs that I
found in the A710.

Build quality is not for rough use.
The F31 might still be in the running...

Best size, if the zoom range is adequate. Excellent IQ and low light
performance. Build quality better than the Canon A series.

And batteries..... Unlike the Canons, the Fuji charges the battery in
the camera, with a standard size power plug socket for 5v input. I'll
bet a four cell battery box and home made cord would charge it from NiMh
batteries. Battery life on the F30 is great. So a bunch of eneloops or
four batteries and a solar charger might work rather well. AAs could be
in a saddlebag with the solar cells clipped outside, perhaps.

Assuming that the chargers are for NiCad and NiMh, they would have the
right voltage for the F31 directly, but I can't see how that would work
on the trail.
And finally, the A710 with hack uses AAs and has the exposure aids, RAW,
etc.

IQ not up to the F31, but pretty decent with RAW and NeatImage. How big
are they going to be displayed/printed? Better zoom range to start with
plus WA & tele aux lenses for 24-370mm eq. Apparent battery life not
that great, but only because it only uses two AAs at a time.

Not an easy choice. I assume you noted the AquaPac waterproof bag/cases
I posted about before. Look better than ziplocks to me.

Moose