[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:08:53 -0400
A few years ago we were on the Altiplano of Bolivia during one of the driest
parts of the year. They were constructing a new road across the plain from
Oruro toward the Chilean border. The dust was just unreal, especially during
several hours of driving through this construction and another days drive
across the Altiplano on dirt trails. At the time I was using a Vivitar 28-80
zoom lens on an OM, with a UV filter for protection. I thought I was being
very careful in blowing off the dust, and gently huffing and wiping dust off
the filter, an exercise that had to be done several times a day. After about
3 days of this, with careful inspection, I noticed the damage. The filter
was ruined. If not for the filter, it would have been the front element.

This is only filter I've ruined that way. I've ruined another one on an
Olympus RC; cracked it.... another story. Sometimes a protection filter is
needed. Most of the time, I never use one.

Wayne