[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 07:10:41 -0500
Indeed.  Based on the known performance of mirror lenses, some of which
have a greater obstruction than my piece of tape, I knew that it would
be hard to tell the difference between shots with and without the tape.
  The only effect of the tape is to block some light and introduce some
more diffracting edges to add to the existing diffracting edges which
are the edges of the lens cells and aperture blades.  The end result is
a slight loss of contrast due to increase diffraction... common in very
fast mirror lenses since they have very large obstructions.

I've lost track of why I did this originally but I think it was to show
that a lens with big scratches or a big chip out of the front element
could still perform very well if the damaged area is filled in with
India ink to prevent light transmission through the damaged area.

Chuck Norcutt