[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:50:15 -0600
> Contax and Nikon have made 'P' non-filters - that's P for protection.
Just because someone makes a "protection" filter doesn't mean its use is
required. I am told that most Japanese photographers will not use a lens
without one. That's not optics, it's market pressures. And anyway, a piece
of clear glass is silly. A bit of UV filtering would help in some
situations.

> Some lenses with rear filters like old fisheyes have to have a
> 'normal' filter in position - the lens requires a piece of glass
> right there for optimum performance.
That's true.

> Unlike religion, it's not that simple.
Not that religion is simple either, but if your lens doesn't come with a
filter and instructions that it is required, it doesn't need one. Although
there may be one, in over 40 years in photography, most of that as a
professional, I've never seen a lens that required a filter on the front.

Bill Pearce