[OM] Re: E-3 problems.

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 problems.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:46:22 -0500
The only thing that makes any sense to me as the possible cause of the
problem is that the camera is still writing at the time power is turned
off and the directory is left in some invalid state.  That really
shouldn't happen as the off switch should not be absolute but rather a
signal to the camera that you'd like it to turn off when it finishes
writing images still in the camera's buffer.  Although it shouldn't
happen with good design Canon cameras have had this problem for a long
time which has only recently been fixed in the newest models.  Whether
the E-3 is subject to the same thing I don't know.

The other possibility is that the images on the card are fine but his
computer's card reader has some sort of problem.  Figuring out what's
going on means checking the reader with another card known to contain
images from another camera and checking the E-3's card with an image
recovery utility to see what's actually there.  I can't believe that all
the images have been literally erased.  There's something still there.

What happens when the card is stuck back into the camera?  Does the
camera still see the images but the computer doesn't?

Chuck Norcutt