[OM] Re: Compact Camera conundrum

Subject: [OM] Re: Compact Camera conundrum
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:38:05 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Review of the A720IS on dpreview today. Highly recommended rating.

I highly value their reviews for the relative thoroughness and interest
in looking further into aspects of performance than others.

I don't put much value on their simple, final rating. Their weighting of
the various factors is often different than mine. But they generally
provide me with the information I need.

I'm a little mystified at how they choose subject for review lately. The
F31fd required a full review? It was just and F30 with face detection
added and a slight cosmetic change. A full review of the A720 IS? The
comparison pages of studio shots with the A710 at 80 and 400 iso would
have been all that's needed.

Based on my experience with the A710, I'm sure the Highly Recommended
rating is deserved. I wowld however, but one of the new A710s still
available to take advantage of the add-on software that unlocks features
in the same processor as used in their other cameras, but disabled in
the budget A series. The IQ improvement from RAW on the A710 will be
more than anything from the almost one added mp of the A720.

Whether or when similar capability will be available for the A720 isn't
clear.

Moose