[OM] Re: Compact Camera conundrum

Subject: [OM] Re: Compact Camera conundrum
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 05:03:33 -0500

> I highly value their reviews for the relative thoroughness and interest
> in looking further into aspects of performance than others.
>
> I don't put much value on their simple, final rating. Their weighting of
> the various factors is often different than mine. But they generally
> provide me with the information I need.

With fixed lens cameras, performance testing has a chance to be more
reliable barring biases, but with DSLR's the lens chosen can screw up
the accuracy of results royally. A lens chosen with more field
curvature, or lower inherent contrast than the competition (or another,
better lens within the same brand) can skew lpm resolution, sharpness,
and more of these opinion-generating "aspects of performance" punctuated
by a finality of judgment using a simple rating phrase. Generates
incorrect offhand comments of various camera models throughout their
production. Fortunately the actual majority of buyers don't go to
dpreview. Consumer Reeeeports is probably even more damaging.