[OM] Re: Burma [partially OT camera]

Subject: [OM] Re: Burma [partially OT camera]
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:23:04 +0000
Bernard

Most of what John H put in his email was halfway sensible, inasmuch as
it was conjecture on the conditions under which you might have had
your trip to Burma (given, as Chuck as said, that we know little about
the normal conditions for visitors to that country).  I will not visit
Burma, just as I will not visit Zimbabwe, since it will benefit the
economy and perhaps lend implicit support to the governing regime.

But the last sentence, about "publicity coup" was rather silly and
really not worth commenting upon, in my view.

For my part, since you replied promptly, and since you thoroughly
rebutted John's imputation of your integrity, there was really nothing
more to say.  Indeed, to have said more might have made things worse,
quite without necessity.  I had assumed that John had apologised in
private ...

... but I know, only too well, that it is possible to put finger to
keyboard and type out an unjustified criticism and send it, only to
regret the action a little later.  About the only good thing I can do
afterwards is to beg forgiveness.

But the main thing for me is that you visited as a free agent and you
took some lovely photos of a beautiful country and its people.

Chris