[OM] Re: Anyone Have an ED12-60/2.8-4?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone Have an ED12-60/2.8-4?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:09:05 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> That's why I insist on larger viewfinder to confirm the focus myself,
Good plan. might be one of the reasons I use a FF DSLR.  ;-) This little
tendril defied the 5D AF completely, but MF worked nicely
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net//BlakeHouse0703/pages/_MG_0867cr2s.htm>.
Several of the images in that gallery are MF. The 5D viewfinder is no
OM-4 let alone OM-1, but it's not bad. Given a little light and a few
moments, it does MF well.
> AF is not always as accurate as expected.
That depends on what one expects. I expect it to be pretty close most of
the time and right on much of the time. BUT, subject to operator error.
The assumption that it is magic will lead to lots of trouble.
Recognizing that it is a complex electro/mechanical system subject to
error in various circumstances and learning how to avoid or mitigate
those problems through operator choice and use will lead to much more
desirable and consistent results.
> My friend just fixed his K10D problem by making an offset to a parameter
> inside the camera firmware. He has been suffered from soft image that happen
> on part of his shots regularly, took a long time to figure out the problem
> and searching for the solution. It seem ok for his current lenses but still
> not sure if this work for all lenses.

That's a shame. There have been similar reports of lens/body
alignment/adjustment problems by some Canon users, at least in the past.
These are highly complex systems. Like most such, they are subject to
failure in real world situations that just didn't crop up in original
design and testing, as with the 1Ds III. they are also subject to
individual failure of various sorts.

Nevertheless, I think that contemporary AF is amazingly good. Nope, it
doesn't hit the mark every time, but it hits the mark a great deal more
often in many situations than I was able to with MF or that I would have
been able to, were I foolish enough to even try some shots.

Moose