[OM] Re: Big 2 dominate in Japan

Subject: [OM] Re: Big 2 dominate in Japan
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:56:19 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I think you're right.  Chris Crawford's photography isn't so important
> in the grand scheme of life.  In fact, the incremental cost of making
> additional copies of his work is next to nothing.  I think we should all
> help ourselves to copies of whatever he's got.  And give some to our
> friends too.  :-)

Absolutely!  I mean, I actually don't know anything about Chris Crawford
[programmers], but I'll bet he's one of those rich photographers
[programmers] whose wealth came about by pure accident -- a mere roll of
the dice! -- instead of years of studying photography [programming].
Why, he probably just points his camera at some random thing,
photographs it, does something "artsy" with it in a few minutes and
sells it for thousands, while honest working people [non-programmers]
have to work hard to make ends meet and aren't "lucky" like he is.
Sure, he'll go on and on, making high-falutin' arguments about how his
photographs [programs] are his intellectual property and all, but we all
know that's just some hyper-right-wing bullsh!t he's spewing.  Power to
the people, I say!  Let's take his work from him, whether he wants us to
or not!  He's already got his life set up!  Don't let him tell you
anything to the contrary.  What about the rest of us?  Don't we deserve
some of his wealth?

Photographers [programmers].  Pah!  All a bunch of rich scum sucking the
rest of us hard-working Joes and Josephines dry.  It's not like we need
his photographs [programs]; they're just totally unimportant -- which,
of course, explains why we steal 'em instead of paying for them.  After
all, if we actually *needed* 'em, why, we'd, uh, um...  hmmm...

Garth

P.S.: Larry's been in my killfile for years, but it's time I added a new