[OM] Re: OT: migraine articles

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: migraine articles
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:02:18 -0700

AG Schnozz wrote:
> Candace wrote:
>> Non food triggers: odors-but usually in conjunction with a
>> barometric pressure change, not just the odor alone, (diesel truck
>> exhaust, burning trash, burning shrubs, smoke, super sweet smells
>> and sweet flowering perfumes, chemical cleaners.) Physical jarring
>> of the head/neck/spine area. Barometric pressure, elevation,
>> altitude. Flying does not always
>> give me a migraine, but about 80% of the time it does.
>

> Very interesting!  YOu and I have almost identical triggers. I have
> others, but those are on my list.  Sometimes, the only thing that
> will touch my headaches is a tall glass of Gaterade. Othertimes, it's
> something really salty.  Occasionally, it's a good movement...
>
> AG

Ken,

That is interesting. I also have other triggers, but those are the biggies.
Gatorade, yes, I would suppose it has something to do with the salt and
the electrolytes.
Also, some good super hot food, be it Mexican, American, Indian, etc,
something with some true spice and fire to it. But only if my stomach
will allow it, which with a migraine is always iffy.
The good movement, most definitely some pressure can be relieved that
way. Migraine in itself causes (at least for me)
gastrointestinal/stomach issues. Either a dam is created or we have
frequent flyer issues...but most definitely that area is affected in a
negative way with migraine. And then there's the medication side effects
as well. It's all a big circle.

Another thing that has given me some relief is the Migraine
stick...you've probably seen those annoying tv adds "head on, apply
directly to the forehead, Head On, apply directly to the pain..." they
also have a migraine stick that can give some temporary relief in
conjunction with numerous other things we all try to get through the day
with.

Another odd but maybe helpful thing for some people...I have done botox
twice now for the migraines. It has helped in that the sore spots we
have after the migraine are not as sore. The muscles are unable to tense
up, so I don't have the extremely sore spots on my
face/temples/head/upper neck area after the migraine. That has been
pretty helpful. My last treatment was in August, and I think I am due
for another. It is something I am "trying and watching". On the down
side, it is hard to play games and read stories in a very animated way
to my kids...I couldn't frown if my life depended on it. Nor look
surprised...I just sorta look the same most of the time. So, for
cosmetic purposes I wouldn't be thrilled, but if it helps my head pain,
so be it.

also, a totally new off topic topic, but related to this issue...

I would encourage anyone who thinks that they are developing "new"
*food* triggers to look at a few things. I say *food* with a bit of
sarcasm as much of our food (in the US at least) contains little to no
nutritional value. They are slowly and secretly in some cases replacing
natural ingredients with chemical/man made ingredients, additives,
preservatives, and colorings.  It may not be the *food* that is
bothering you so much as the additives. There is a bunch more that could
be said about this, but I don't know that this is the forum to do so.
Anyhow, there are several ingredients that are MSG type ingredients or
that combined make an MSG, but in the US the FDA does NOT require that
all ingredients be listed on the labels. More and more ingredients are
listed but are given names that do not truly disclose what the
ingredients are. This is true for food as well as anything topical that
you apply to your skin. Ingested, we have a liver to help filter the
toxins. Applied topically, there is little to no filtering done by the
body. There's a gigantic laundry list of things to avoid, but after much
research in this area it is disgusting and maddening what is in our
daily products that the FDA has deemed as "safe". The point is, it may
not just be the *food* that is triggering us, it may well be an additive
or preservative. Or even a non food item that is absorbed through the
skin. And, in the US, you cannot believe labels. The FDA requires very
little for an item to carry the "organic", "natural", "all natural"
title on the label. To the best of my understanding, the item need only
have one ingredient in it that is natural or organic for the product to
be labeled "organic". It can still be loaded with chemicals and
preservatives. Of special concern in this house is the food grade
preservative called "parabens". There are 6 or 7 different types of
parabens, and once you start looking you will find they are in
everything. The FDA has said parabens are "safe" in small amounts, but
they don't take into account the cumulative effect of the fact that for
most people, after they get up in the morning, before they leave for
work, they've already applied 10-20 products containing parabens, as
well as ingested a few products containing parabens. And this is only
one preservative. There are many many more that have not had testing on
humans, or no adequate testing on humans, but because they are used in
such small amounts the FDA tells us they are "safe". This affects many
many areas of our lives, but I have discovered this in trying to remove
what is unnecessary for myself and my children, in the hopes that our
overall health will improve, and perhaps the migraines as well.

There are many websites and link I could give, but I don't wish to bog
the list down anymore with this. If someone wants to reply to me off
list, I will be happy to share the resources I have found.

Sorry for being so long winded...I have years of experiences filling my
brain. Sometimes it just spills out. :-)
Candace