[OM] Re: List Nanny Question WAS Re: OT, Nabble?

Subject: [OM] Re: List Nanny Question WAS Re: OT, Nabble?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:37:48 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I have friends not on this list who have complained about the huge
> increase in spam this month. I think it is really the internet
> environment that has changed. Spammers have New Year's resolutions
> too, I suppose.
>
> I find that spam filtering of my own beyond that of the ISP helps a
> great deal. I use SpamSeive, which is not expensive. Mac only I think.
> Apple Mail has a feature that seems to help too. I don't know whether
> other mail apps have something similar.
I use gmail for the list. It actually does an extraordinary job. A piece
of spam got through the other day, first I've seen in months. For some
reason, it doesn't allow the opposite, designating messages with certain
characteristics as not spam, so I occasionally miss a post.

So I go on their site when it's obvious I've missed a post to which
there are replies, or just happen to think of it. I check the spam
folder and mark any [OM] message(s) as not spam, which seems to train
the filter further. It happens so seldom that I think it's worth it for
the lack of spam coming through.

Creepily enough, I recently found a piece of spam with the [OM] at the
beginning of the subject.

Moose