[OM] Re: Question for Dr. Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Question for Dr. Flash
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:49:58 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Ali Shah wrote:

> something about pressing the shutter while focusing on
> the subject, in this case a bride and groom. While
> keeping the shutter pressed to turn the camera causing
> the lights to blur up and down while the subject stays
> in place and perfectly focused??!? I am not exactly
> sure if I read that right but I wanted to know how
> that is done.

I'm no Dr. Flash, but that sounds like the good old 'dragging the shutter'
technique.

> The lights looked like they were taken at a very slow shutter speed
> while the camera or lights are moving but yet the photo was taken with a
> flash!?!

What may be confusing here is the assumption that the shutter speed is
very slow. Light sources are very bright compared to the rest of the
scene, as a rule, and they can easily be recorded on the film/sensor even
with a smaller aperture and not-so-slow shutter speed. You probably need
to experiment, but 1/4 to 1/10 range should be good enough to get the
lights motion blurred (just a guess).

The flash exposure, which is a tiny fraction of a second will light and
freeze your subject. If it's a bounce flash they won't even have that
dreaded 'deer in the headlights' look.

The clever bit about focusing on the subject that you mentioned in the
beginning will take care of how the subject is focused and framed even if
you jerk the camera around, because the flash exposure happens in the very
beginning (maybe technically not 100% accurate, but should be close
enough).

priit.