[OM] Re: OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:12:16 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Not true.......
>
> About 15 or 20, I believe.
>
> ....... The newer lenses are O-ringed at the lens mount. Nikon makes no
> claims of for their sealing on lenses or even their cameras if I am not
> mistaken. Others seem to make the case for them.

Thanks for straightening me out. So much easier to tap the knowledge of
a fan. :-)
> For example, a drizzly trip by Canon fan in which many Canons failed
> and none of the Nikons failed.
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/aa-07-worked.shtml

Yes, but the N sample was tiny, five cameras. Michael's take in his
update in the end included:

" 2: If there had been 45 Nikon and 5 Canons in use, rather than the
other way round, I think it likely that the shoe would have been on the
other foot."

I suspect that a great deal of the problem was as AG speculated some
time ago, heating and cooling the cameras as they went in and out of
cover under jackets literally sucking moisture into the body/lens combo.

Moose