[OM] Re: E3 question

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 question
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 05:46:35 +0100
Thanks Jan.

This is always the reservation I have had about IS, subject motion.
But I think it might be useful, say, when taking a street scene at
night, where it will help keep the buildings and other immovable
objects sharp, and if there is motion blur from people walking by,
that usually enhances the scene.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 16-jan-2008, at 4:32, Jan Steinman wrote:

>> From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> I would therefore like to hear from people who have experience with
>> both the E410/510 and the E3: does the E3 deliver significantly
>> better high ISO performance than the other bodies?
>
> I can only compare to the E300 -- it is MUCH better at higher
> sensitivity settings. I used to always shoot locked-in at 100, but now
> I use the "auto ISO" setting, trusting that it will be useable.
>
> Something that makes a huge difference is IS.
>
> If you have a subject that will tolerate several stops slower shutter
> speed, the image stabilization on the E3 is like getting three or more
> ISO settings for free! I just did an event where several other
> photographers were weighted down with tens of pounds of Canons with
> huge flashes hanging off them -- I shot it without flash (primarily
> with the 12-60) at between 1/4 and 1/15. Most of them look great,
> without high ISO noise.
>
> The biggest problem is subject motion, so I'm getting re-acquainted
> with my old sports photography skills -- shooting into the plane of
> action, waiting for peak of action, etc.
>
> :::: We're in a giant car heading toward a brick wall at a hundred
> miles an hour, arguing over who has the best seat. -- David
> Suzuki ::::
> :::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx