[OM] Re: ND Filter

Subject: [OM] Re: ND Filter
From: "Jez Cunningham" <jez.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:42:08 +0100
The ND filter doesn't change anything - it's the longer shutter time that
makes water smooth/creamy.  (A polarizer will remove about 1.5 stops but
will also polarize! - it can make the water disappear - by eliminating /
reducing reflections - so it's not a direct replacement).

So you can use the ND filter anytime you want slower shutter speed (to
exaggerate motion blur) or to be able to increase the aperture (less DOF).

1.5 stops is rarely enough - an ND filter will probably start at 3 stops to
really show effect.
Jez