[OM] Re: How does he do that?

Subject: [OM] Re: How does he do that?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:05:09 -0800
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> I see a good bit of that sort of thing over on DeePee. I think there
> are several software packages that go a long way toward the look.
> Lucis? Lucas? Something along those lines. A little bit of that goes
> a long way. I've seen some pretty interesting stuff done in a more
> urban theme, where it seems to work particularly well.

Look closely at the larger version of the lighthouse shot, and you will
see a similar, 'etched' look. Looks like a form of LCE., or something
in between broad, LCE use of USM and conventional sharpening.

Normally, if you apply that much LCE/USM to a face, it gets too
contrasty. Lower brightness and contrast beforehand, and you can do a
lot of LCE. I sometimes use that technique to pull out texture in the
surfaces of inanimate things.

Assuming it's something like that, a mask would be needed to cover halos
around the main subject. Rather easy to do on this image.

I think it's overdone here. Striking at first, but wouldn't wear well
for me. Even the hat is over done a bit, at least the turned up
underside of the brim, but you can see how it brings out the texture.
Band is a bit crunchy, but I kinda like the crown.

Moose