[OM] Re: OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:01:05 -0500
At 06:15 PM 1/23/2008, Moose wrote:

>Thought I forgot, didn't you?  ;-)

Nope, just thought you had bigger fish to fry.  :-)

>Most of the interiors of the Hearst Castle were taken at 17mm, as well
>as several exterior shots.

I'm not personally into shooting interiors but those sure do look
nice.  I didn't notice much in the way of distortion or weird
perspectives and the lighting/colors look wonderful.  I assume you
cleaned them up with software?  Do you mind listing all of the post
processing steps you used for one of them, #1273 for example?

>  Several of the Pygmy forest shots are also
>with the 17-35, and give a whole different subject matter, very natural
>vs. very opulently man made.

Those I also like, especially #1203.  Funny thing though is that I
think that #1173 shot with the telephoto is the best of the
group.  Too bad about the out of focus stuff in the foreground.

>This is another nature shot at 18mm.
><http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/Shasta/slides/_MG_2144cr.html>

That one doesn't do as much for me as the others.  With that scene
and  wide of an angle I think you lose sight of what is supposed to
be the main subject in the picture.  Did you by any chance take
another shot there with a longer focal length?

Thanks for the examples - I may have to reconsider having 24mm as my widest.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA