[OM] Re: Used Full frame Digi SLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: Used Full frame Digi SLRs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:27:57 -0800
Tim Hughes wrote:
> 5D is not a full 35mm frame though ?

To enlarge on the "Yes it is." posts; it is actually a more desirable FF
body for many people/uses than the 1Ds series.

It is hardly larger than the 40D small sensor body and about the same
size/weight as the E-3 4/3 sensor body.

IQ is excellent. Almost 13mps with high per pixel sharpness. Many users
considered it to be slightly better in practical IQ than the 1Ds II.
Much better than the original 1Ds. In my comparison tests, the central,
APS-C portion of the sensor, with 5.1mp, out resolved the 6.1 mp of the
300D. It's not just how many mps.

The main limitations compared to the 1D(s) bodies are slower frame rates
and lack of weatherproofing. The prism also isn't quite as big, so the
view is presumably not quite as bright as the 1Ds series. I don't know,
as I doubt if I could lift a 1Ds up to my eye.  :-) The view is in any
case better than in the small sensor bodies.

A replacement has been rumored for some time, but doesn't appear to be
coming yet. I can imagine a couple of reasons:

- It was so much in a class of its own, and selling so well, that the
economic incentives of marginal profits after design and tooling costs
are amortized weigh heavily in favor of keeping it going as long as
sales hold up.

- Waiting to see what N had up their FF sleeve, then determining and/or
fine tuning the response. As the D3 is much more expensive than the 5D
and really targeted at a different market niche, there may be no hurry.

And it truth, if one doesn't need a handful of added mps that won't be
noticeable in actual view of output, live view, and a few other bell and
whistle functions, there may be little reason for a 5D owner to upgrade.
Having seen the D3, they might make higher isos a priority. Honestly,
though, iso 3200 on the 5D is highly usable.

Moose