[OM] Fixing gradient illumination effects caused by flash

Subject: [OM] Fixing gradient illumination effects caused by flash
From: orink@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:14:58 -0600 (CST)
Hi, Everyone:

One of my friends at work wants me to "fix" a flash photo taken of her
daughter's volleyball team sitting on a staircase. I converted the .jpg to a
tiff,did the red eye and re-sized the result to the 13 x 10 size she wanted me
to print. Then I noticed the flash effect. She used a pocket Olympus digital
with a single built in flash.

Is there a clever way to correct the light on each of the faces of the girls
who were sitting at different distances from the flash since they were sitting
on the stair steps and thus the amount of light from the flash that hit the
faces on each stair step was different in intensity?

I have Photoshop CS2, Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0, Corel Paintshop Pro, etc.

Thanks for any ideas,

Orin Keplinger
near Chicago