[OM] Re: OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:34:08 -0500
At 05:35 AM 1/24/2008, Moose wrote:

>Beyond that, you have to keep moving; they are on a relatively tight
>schedule and can't leave anyone running around loose. The fellow in the
>first Casa del Monte image is the guide gesturing me to hustle up. Then
>the rooms are full of fellow tourists until the last moment. So I was
>regularly waiting to be the last one out, then run to catch up. Once the
>guide felt he could trust me to keep up, that wasn't too bad.

The absence of people in the shots made me wonder if y'all had
somehow arranged a private tour.  I'm glad the guide accommodated you
- it made for some special shots.

>- NeatImage. I'm sure other apps would do. I happen to have NeatImage.
>PS NR isn't really as good with these iso3200 images. I did check the
>settings at 100% to fine tune the noise/detail balance.

I haven't tried NeatImage yet but - I normally limit myself to iso800 anyway.

>- Linear distortion correction. I did this second on the theory that it
>would distort noise patterns and make NR less effective. I doubt it
>matters much, if at all. Certainly not at this display size.

Was that done in Adobe Camera Raw or a third party application?

>- ShadowHighlight or Levels to lift the darker tones. LCE, then curves
>to adjust tonal distribution.

Have you tried the Clarity slider in Adobe Camera Raw for LCE instead
of using unsharp mask in Photoshop?  I haven't done any side by side
comparisons yet but, based on a few raw conversions, the Clarity
slider looks promising.

>Here's one taken a little closer, showing a fellow with waders and his
>4x5 camera working for that magic shot. He didn't know I'd taken shots
>of him and his patient companion until they were leaving and I asked for
>an email address so I could get copies to him.
><http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Misc/timo/slides/_MG_1613cr.html>

I like this one much better than the first one that you posted.  I'd
like it even better I think if the fellow had a bit more room below
him but it's still a pretty shot.

>Here's almost the full scope of the falls, but it really plays down the
>left side, small as it is from perspective, and partially hidden by
>topography.
><http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=MossBraeP116laz.jpg>

I think this one is better than the first also.  The boulder in the
lower left gives a nice balance to the falls on the right.

>The falls are so wide and so close that benig there is an experience
>very difficult to convey in an image. Magic place.

I shoot a lot of waterfalls and it's also not unusual for me to come
across one that I can't capture to my satisfaction.  Most of the ones
around here though are pretty small so I don't face the same problems
that you did.

>I can go whole days of shooting without bringing out the 17-35, but it
>makes possible shots that are otherwise not possible.

Well, you certainly put it to good use in those captures.  Thanks for
taking the time to point me to them and answering my questions.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA