[OM] Re: Robert Capa negatives found (NY Times article)

Subject: [OM] Re: Robert Capa negatives found (NY Times article)
From: "Stephan Van den Zegel" <stephan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:24:55 +0100
Hope they will make a catalogue of those pictures soon...

Those negs were preserved from a lot of trouble... and as many other of the
free Spain related documents were saved through the Mexican connection.
Would they have fallen in Soviet hands, they would have been destroyed or
rectified...

The New-York Times is slightly wrong (as usual) when describing Capa and the
others as communist minded...; they had more connection with the Spanish
anarchists or Poum members than with the few communists... (hence the
Mexican connection to get the docs out of trouble). And to be more precise
on the famous picture it is not a republican soldier but of a milician of an
anarcho-syndicalist column (soldier would be a great offense for his
memory)... a thing that the official communists would have love to destroy
the proof that it ever existed. I know it sounds a bit stupid to make such
an historical distinction... but for those who know the difference it's like
if a journalist was asserting that zuiko lenses where build to fit on a
Canon or Nikon body ;-)

For the technical part... Capa is said to have used a leica at that time,
and that he changed to use Rolleiflex and Contax at the end of the Spanish
period...

Stephan