[OM] Re: HDR attempt

Subject: [OM] Re: HDR attempt
From: Ali Shah <alizookoman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:31:11 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Marc!

I am not sure what to make of HDR. Is it photography?
Some people I know do amazing HDR work but you are
right - you can go overboard. It does however get
"oohs and aahhs"!

This is not something I want to do day in and day out.
Like most of the list members on this list - I have
come from film where you didnt have all these
tech-gizmodic wonders. I wanted to learn bracketing
more than anything...HDR is secondary. Someone
suggested that I do 9 bracketed exposures. I thought
the guy went off the deep end - 3 was enough for me.

I always ask - how did people do it before the DSLR?

> You know when people find a new post-processing
> technique and they just
> throw the sliders to the extreme and go "Wow!". I do
> it all the time -
> my guilty secrets are "grunge", the "digital
> stocking filter",
> vignetting (light and blur), and this "duotone"
> action I got from
> somewhere. HDR's been a bit like that for me as a
> viewer, as I quickly
> grew bored with that over-sumptuous look. "Alright!
> it get it! You've
> captured every bit of detail in a high contrast
> scene and made it look
> rich to the point of surreal! Bravo to you!". See
> what I mean? I really
> went off them. :) IMO, it was becoming the charcoal
> filter for the
> digital age. It's not that I think those photos
> can't be nice, lovely
> even, but, well, like a pavlova I can only consume a
> certain amount
> before I start to feel a bit sick from
> overindulgence. I certainly can't
> take several of them at a single sitting.
>
> You haven't done that, of course, Ali. You've used
> it as I see its
> primary intent - to create from a scene of high
> contrast a photo that
> contains detail more as the rapidly-adapting eye
> sees it. Your HDR
> photos look detailed but "natural" (for a given
> value of the word
> "natural" :) ). Please don't let me stop you from
> using the "extreme
> slider" effect, with HDR or anything else - it's
> just one man's opinion,
> and that of a digital hypocrite as well - but I look
> forward to seeing
> you developing and using HDR as you have above, for
> a "natural" look,
> compensating for technical limitations. Hell, even
> with Flickr's
> deficiencies as a "gallery", I always check out your
> photos anyway, as I
> always get something good from them. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Marc