[OM] Re: HDR attempt

Subject: [OM] Re: HDR attempt
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:47:25 -0700
Moose wrote:
> I guess I must have missed the memo. Here I thought HDR was simply a way
> of working around limited DR in film/sensor.

  One thing that confuses me is that an "HDR" image actually has a lower
dynamic range than the original scene did, but nobody calls them "LDR".
It's making up for the fact that your pupil will close and open as you
look around a scene by squashing the dynamic range of the scene down to
all fit in there at once. As far as I can tell, the only way to really
do this would be to have a monitor which a:could give off a painful
amount of light for brighter areas, and b:which was big enough that your
eyes could legitimately be "looking into the dark" without distractions
from other light sources.

  Games like the newer versions of Half-Life 2 have a better
approximation to "HDR", because if you move from a bright area to a dark
area, the game fakes your pupils adjusting by gradually changing the
brightness of the world;  so if you look back into the dark area you
won't be able to see anything for a moment because it's all too dark,
and if you then look at the bright area again, everything is white-out
until your "pupils close down".

  -- dan