[OM] Re: IS question

Subject: [OM] Re: IS question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:00:58 -0800
Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> The E3 is the first camera I have ever owned that has IS. I
> understand what it does and how to turn it on, but one question that
> the manual does not address is this: given its benefits, why would I
> ever leave it off? In other words, what are the costs of using it--
> higher power consumption, longer shutter lag, something else?

Power consumption, certainly.

I don't know about the E-3, but most IS systems don't get along with
tripods. I don't know why, but it makes sense to turn it off then anyway.

To the extent that the mechanism and movement generate heat that warms
the sensor, it would increase noise.

Does the mechanism wear out?

Just some random stuff....

Moose