[OM] Re: E3 firmware update

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 firmware update
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:14:36 +1100
If I submitted an image to a stock agency, they would examine it at
100%. Therefore I would expect an image from a professional grade
camera to show reasonable sharpness and definition at actual pixel
magnification. That's where the difference really shows up between a
good compact, a cheap SLR and a good SLR.
That said, I would expect an image at 100% from a manual focus lens
or a good lens in MF mode (with the body on a tripod) with IS off to
be sharper than an AF image with IS on. AF can be variable,
especially in multi-point focus modes as it may make different
decisions on sequential exposures. That's one reason that I prefer
single point focussing for normal usage.   IS does tend to soften an
image a little (Canon IS L-grade lens are softer than non-IS for
instance). It's usually only and issue for critical landscape work.
That's why people put Leica R lenses on EOS bodies - or even OM Zuiko's!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx