[OM] Re: F280 question

Subject: [OM] Re: F280 question
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 00:28:41 -0800 (PST)
There is no need for FP mode, if the shutter speed is 1/60 or below. The camera
detects the system
flash presence and sets the camera to 1/60 (except if using OM2) when trying to
get exposures
below 1/60 with TTL flash.

If you use conventional TTL flash mode, which will set camera to 1/60, then
relative contribution
of flash and ambient is set by aperture.  You can estimate from the exposure
time it says it is
going to use with no flash relative to 1/60 what the ratio will be.  If you
just want to add a
little fill and let the camera set exposure time below 1/60 then use a manual
flash with fine
power control (not T32 unfortunately) or use auto flash but in non-ttl mode
(this is not very good
for macro because sensor on the flash only sees it's rather wide view of the
world).  (Some
vivitar flashes have fibre optic sensor adapter so can still use with macro on
Auto-mode).   You
can fool the camera into not setting 1/60 sec when a T flash is connected, by
taping over one of
the contacts in the hotshoe, so the camera does not detect it.  Third party
flashes like Sunpak
are often much better in maual control, having power settings from full to
1/128 of power, while
Tseries only have a couple of  settings.

I often like two flashes for macro. One used TTL with a large local diffuser
off camera to softly
illuminate subject and another to do background fill, set on non-ttl auto mode
(set for - 1 to 1.5
stop from lens).  This eliminates the dark background you otherwise almost
always get from flash
falloff.  CHLing's homemade plastic ring macro diffuser, is a nice way to
diffuse light locally
and cut huge flash output as well. (see his website)  You usually need to add a
ND filter to cut
overwhelming light from flash in macro , which the TTL cannot control when too
close up.  If you
are going Micro (x8 etc) then magnification light drop off becomes much larger
and this is not a
problem.

Tim Hughes