[OM] Re: HDR attempt

Subject: [OM] Re: HDR attempt
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:27:35 -0800
Ali Shah wrote:

> Moose - most people who use HDR (at least the people that I know) - use it
> for the "WOW" factor.
I understand, I"ve been known to do "WOW" myself. I just wish in saying
what they have done they would differentiate between HDR itself and what
they do to the image afterwards.

Again, I have no quarrel with the results - look at what I did to the
example I posted. My concern is with the confusion likely to be created
for those who may use other HDR apps that don't add Tone Mapping to
basic HDR.

> They dont know the technical aspects and may not even care to learn. Now the
> photos that I took were taken in an abandoned bldg that once was a furniture
> factory. Most of it was dark - very dark. It is amazing to me that I could
> bracket 3 exposures and pull out detail like that. The colors are well -
> pushing the slider in Photomatix all the way up and further tweaking in
> Photoshop.
>
> Bracketing can be useful for other things, besides HDR.

Sure. I just like semi-clear descriptions. If I tell someone how much
better my car is running since I emptied the contaminated, dirty old oil
out of it - and don't mention the second step I took, I do them no service.

Moose