[OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:44:18 -0800
Okay, now my criticism is down to "lousy instructions." That and "self-
update from 2.04 to 2.05 doesn't happen when Olympus Master 2
reassures you by by saying 'Checking for updates.'"

It turns out that none of the three computers could detect the camera
because I normally keep the E3 display turned inward.

Since I had never used the E-3 USB port before (I use a card reader),
I had no idea that the display would be needed.

I followed the directions on the website carefully, especially Step
#1: "Connect the digital camera to your computer using a USB cable."
It says nothing about making specific camera settings; it doesn't even
mention turning the camera on!

The solution -- which anyone who has downloaded pictures by cable
knows -- is the display is asking you what to do with this cable, with
the default selection of "STORAGE" highlighted. You need to press the
"OK" button before anything will happen. Silly me, I thought it would
be just like a card reader, and all you had to do was plug it in.

So now I have some reasonably sharp photos taken at 1/60th with the OM
500/8 Reflex and with the OM 90/2 at 1/15th -- finally a happy camper!

It also updated the 12-60 to 1.1, but I haven't noticed any difference
in behaviour.

:::: The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy
like Norman Einstein. -- Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback &
sports analyst ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::