[OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:41:53 -0500

I'm late getting in on this thread, but a couple of hours ago I upgraded my
E-510 to firmware v.1.3 with no problems...once I did it correctly. I used
Studio 2.11. When I connected my E-510 to my MacBook Pro (OS 10.4.11) with the
USB cable and turned on the camera, the LCD camera menu switched to and
highlighted "Storage" mode. I tried to download the update a couple of times
and I kept getting the message that the software could not locate my camera. I
started to type in, "It's lying on the table beside me, dummy;" then I had one
of those "duh" moments.

I pressed the OK button to activate the "Storage" menu selection. Studio
immediately connected and the firmware upgrade went through without a hitch.
Don't know whether everyone else remembered to hit the OK button or not. but if
you don't the software program (Master 2 or Studio 2) can't connect to the
camera. I don't suppose that any of the others who are trying to update forgot
to do this, but just in case....

The last time I upgraded I used Olympus Master 2. I had the same problem I had
tonight. I forgot to hit the OK button. After that...no problem. It's been a
while since the last update and my "old timers" had kicked in.  ;o)  (Some of
you can relate.) I had simply forgotten an essential step in the update
process. I know. I know. If I had just consulted the manual, but...hey...real
men don't read manuals.  Do they?  ;o)

For those using Leopard and who did remember to hit the OK button, I feel for
you. Don't really know who to blame...Apple or Olympus. I suspect it might be
Steve J's fault. Rumors say that he is sabotaging Leopard/Olympus software
compatibility in order to get Olympus DSLR users to switch to the cameras in
his new iPhones. He has been working diligently to find a way to add
interchangeable lenses to them. It is rumored that when asked how he will tame
the noise caused by his tiny sensors, he reponded, "They can just turn the
volume down."

For those using Windows Vista...uh...it just has to be Bill G's fault. He's
probably getting ready to launch a line of BG DSLRs and he's just waiting for
Olympus enthusiasts to get mad enough at Olympus and Steve J. to jump to his
products. He knows how brand loyal we are and what we'll put up with to remain
so. Of course, to corner the market he'll have to buy out Canon, Nikon, Leica,
Olympus, Pentax, Fuji, Sony, etc. (Or perhaps he could borrow an idea from our
U.S. department of agriculture and pay these other camera companies for not
producing anything.) I do hope that Bill offers a wide selection of Gates
Digital lenses with the new camera line. Now that the other brands have been on
the market for a few years, Bill has several outstanding selections to copy
(er... emulate). Perhaps he could develop a complete camera, lens and
accessories "system" to go with his new camera(s). Wouldn't that be a novel
idea?

Robert