[OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:09:19 -0800
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Of course, I should like it to be your way every time so that I am not
> forced to upgrade.  And I wish that I had not bothered to upgrade my
> FileMaker ...

FileMaker has been especially egregious about this. They routinely
break with major releases of MacOS. I gave up on them when they forced
me to upgrade to version 7 when 6 quit working -- a paid upgrade. I
was a captive audience at the time, relying on FileMaker for my
business. I've ported all that stuff to MySQL now.

There are many degrees of compliance and compatibility. I am an Apple
developer. I get a bi-monthly CD-ROM in the mail full of stuff like,
"This function is deprecated, and will quit working in the next major
release." Or even, "If you have to do 'A', do it this way, because
doing it the 'B' way is unsupported, and may stop working in the
future." They do a great job of keeping their developer community
appraised of impending change.

But the developer has to be interested enough and competent enough to
be listening.

:::: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting
different results. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AU22> ::::