[OM] Re: Recommendations for a camera+laptop commute-to-work bag

Subject: [OM] Re: Recommendations for a camera+laptop commute-to-work bag
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:15:17 -0800
J. Van Brimmer wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I need a bag that will accommodate a 15" laptop, plus one SLR body
> (OM1n), with a lens attached, plus maybe one or two other lenes, some
> film, filters, etc. And enough room left over for various office stuff,
> like a file folder or two. I mainly want to use this bag for commuting
> back and forth to work. I also carry a cell phone, a PDA, a calculator,
> a small Maglight, and other small items. I've been looking at......
There are two categories of photo equipment that I won't buy without
seeing in person- straps & bags - tripods & heads.

Cameras, lenses, flashes? Yup, I've bought 'em sight unseen, and so far
without regrets.

If at all possible, find a retailer who carries a range of brands and
models. Even if you can't find just the model you want, you can often
find a similar one from the same maker. I'm astounded at how different
many bags look and feel in person than in pictures.

Personally, I've yet to meet a Crumpler I like the look and feel of. Try
a Tamrac and Domke of similar size, and it's like they came from
different planets. Which you'd like, I have no idea, but I'll bet you
don't like the other. I have one LowePro I love - and another that's OK,
but not really quite right.

Materials make a considerable difference to me. I like something that
will wear into my use a little, but not go all floppy. I just can't tell
anything about that except in person.

Moose