[OM] Re: FS: E-410, 14-42, KatzEye, ME-1, OM 24/2

Subject: [OM] Re: FS: E-410, 14-42, KatzEye, ME-1, OM 24/2
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 08:15:38 -0800 (PST)
> Both you and Mike say the 100/2.8 is sharper than the 85/2.
> Although I have both, I've never had a shootout, but generally
> think them to be very close.

Except for the final 85/2 design, the 100/2.8 and 85/2 are
essentially identical lenses.  The 85/2 has almost always
outperformed the 100/2.8 in full-field sharpness.

> could be wrong. The older design handily beat the SC 100/2.8 in
> Gary's tests, but he didn't publish the ser#s, so we can't place
> the 100/2.8 in AG's list of quality.

Gary and I spent some time going through the SNs and estimating the
formula changes. Best as we can tell, there were three distinct
100/2.8 designs. The first one had good center sharpness, but lousy
edge sharpness. The second one actually had the aperture move and the
edge sharpness was tremendously improved, yet the center sharpness
was maintained.  The third major formula corrected the edge sharpness
even more, made the lens almost totally flatfielded, but lost the
center sharpness to make the sharpness uniform all across the full
field of view.  We also determined that just prior to the MC
versions, there were a slew of minor changes that appeared to be
almost experimental. Mine is one of those. In comparison with other
100/2.8 lenses, mine is definitely unique for some strange reason.
Other photographers have tried mine and instantly noted a difference.

AG

Be a better friend, newshound, and