[OM] Re: Upgradable Camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Upgradable Camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:35:19 -0800
Ah, well. I don't think Leica ever competed on cost and comparing the
cost to a less expensive camera does not make sense when you consider
that the camera is more expensive than almost any camera already.
Considering that a new one costs $5500, functional upgrades, bringing
everything else up to spec and a new camera warranty it does not seem
too bad percentage wise. The major cost seems to be the complete
disassembly of the camera.

The idea might inspire someone to design a truly modular camera that
would allow an owner to self-install them. People knew that Nikon was
playing with that idea before the F6 film camera was announced. The
idea then was to switch out the film module with a digital sensor
module. It was thought that the D2X and the F6 would be the same
camera, but with different modules.  That is just a step away from
designing upgrades through modules.

With this initial step with the M3 maybe Leica will take the next step
with the R10.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA