[OM] Re: For you Canon users.

Subject: [OM] Re: For you Canon users.
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:06:00 -0800 (PST)

The Canon 1200/5.6L USM, the longest fixed telephoto lens ever built by Canon,
contains 13
elements (2 Fluorite) in 10 groups and focus' down to 49.5'. With an angle-of-
view of about 2° on
a full-frame 35 mm camera, calling this lens a 'tele' is like calling King Kong
a monkey.

Built-to-order by Canon from 1993 to 2005, each lens was hand-crafted at the
rate of about
2-per-year and a delivery time of about 18 months. Only a dozen-or-so were ever
made. Who bought
them? National Geographic magazine and Sports Illustrated are known to own a
couple, the Feds
probably have a few squirreled away somewhere, and a few well-heeled photo
enthusiasts.
<<
At that price ,I hope the flourite elements have not turned to mush from
moisture absorbtion!

Tim Hughes