[OM] Related CF card stuff, was: SDHC deal [was Quick Question]

Subject: [OM] Related CF card stuff, was: SDHC deal [was Quick Question]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:23:26 -0500
I also noticed that B&H and Sandisk have lots of other rebates going on
at the moment.  You can get an 8GB Extreme III CF card for $60 after $40
rebate.  The rebate seems to work out to $5 per GB.

On a related note I just bought an Expresscard/CF adapter from this
seller on oboy.  Cheap and works fine but very little faster than my
Sandisk USB 2 CF reader.
<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300194614276>

I bought it because I had sold my Sandisk CF reader to my niece.  I
thought I wouldn't need it since I had just gotten a new Dell with
built-in multi reader.  Then I bought a Dell laptop just before our
recent driving trip to Florida.  I had queried Dell before I bought it
about whether it had a built-in CF reader.  They assured me that it did.
   Well, it has capability for reading every type of flash card known to
man *except* a CF card.  Since the CF reader was gone I figured I'd just
use the camera as a reader so I took the USB cable for the Canyon.  But
I also took the Mynolta A1.  I didn't take its cable since I figured I'd
just stick the Mynolta's cards into the Canyon for download.  Wrong!
The Canyon is not just a dumb disk drive.  It filters by Canyon file
types.  When the laptop asks to take a look at the Mynolta card the
Mynolta card is empty.  You'd think as a former software test manager
I'd learn to test things ahead of time.  Anyhow the ExpressCard adapter
is a bit faster and much more compact than a separate USB reader.

Chuck Norcutt