[OM] Re: Advice on product shots for jewelry

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice on product shots for jewelry
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:03:43 -0800
> From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
>
> Does anyone have experience with photographing diamond  (and other
> precious
> stones) jewelry for advertising/websites?

Ugh. The best thing going for you is it doesn't move. The worst thing
is the customer will probably be VERY picky.

Control the lighting and you control the result. I'm sure others might
say to just put the whole thing under an old lampshade, but I'd try to
get hold of a twin macrolight, with individual polarizers. (I cut my
own to fit from sheets.) Then you can make one light "fill" and de-
tune the polarizer on the other for "sparkle".

And a copy stand, or other specialized macro positioning stuff. Using
a ballhead or standard 3-axis will make you crazy. A gear head helps,
but it still doesn't help you with axial moves.

Since dimensions are so small, you can do some very sophisticated
light modification for a song. I have a Flare Buster studio kit, but
you can do as well with styrofoam insulation, nails, and tagboard.

I haven't done diamonds, but have struggled with topaz and other
faceted gems. It's fun if you're having fun, and terrifying if you
made a fixed bid, or even what seems like a reasonable estimate.

Good luck!

:::: Modern agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into
food. Without petroleum we will not be able to feed the global
population. -- Robert L. Hickerson ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::