[OM] Re: Protecting cameras from tainted air?

Subject: [OM] Re: Protecting cameras from tainted air?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:16:01 -0500
I don't know about protecting yourselves from mold spores but if your
air conditioner can keep the relative humidity level down to 50% or less
I think they're unlikely to grow on your equipment.  Mold spores are
always present in the air but it's a humid environment which allows them
to grow.

If you want to store the equipment in a protective cabinet you can
easily make one yourself and either equip it with a low wattage bulb to
raise the temperature in the cabinet or use a heater designed for the
purpose such as those designed to prevent rust in gun cabinets.  Here
are some ranging from 12 to 38 watts for interior spaces of 100 to 500
cubic feet.  You can find them at various sporting goods distributors
and on the bay.  You could also use these specs to determine the size of
a light bulb to be used to do it yourself.  I planned to build a small
one once using a 13 watt compact fluorescent but never finished it.
<http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/models_specifications.htm>
Walt could probably have helped out here.  As a matter of fact I think
it may have been from him that I first heard of these "Golden Rod" heaters.

Chuck Norcutt