[OM] Re: ND Filter for Wide Angle Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: ND Filter for Wide Angle Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:35:18 -0800
Jay Drew wrote:
>> .... Someone suggested using a Cokin holder w/ a hi-tech filter.
>>
> Good gosh, that someone could have been me.
> I use a Cokin P series holder with Hitech Grad ND's.
> I'm shooting film (gasp) so I can't attest to Chuck's idea of doing it with
> multiple shots in the digital world then combining them in the digital
> darkroom.

Why not? One could still bracket, then do the merge after scanning. Not
recommending anything, just one of those annoying folks who's always
looking too closely at assumptions.
> ..
> IMHO, there is no substitute for a rectangular grad ND.  A round grad ND is
> useless.
There. Now you've answered a question I've never asked, but idly
wondered about. I never could see how one could both frame the shot and
get the grad line in the right place other than by luck with a fixed filter.
> If you accept that premise, the question then becomes, are there other
> filters that you would like to use in the cokin mounting scheme?
I've got a Cokin holder and some filters around somewhere. Somehow, it
was all just a little too awkward to make it into regular use.
> A lot of what could be done in Cokin's play land can be done digitally.
Similar things can be done. I'm not sure if just the same things can be
done. Physical effects filters just look different. Again, not
advocating, just observing.
> But if you are shooting film, that Grad ND is mighty useful.

For many uses, the better DR DSLRs can simply skip the ND or bracketing
step.
> Jay - still shooting film and doing it poorly, thank you very much.

That's good. But what happened to your tag line? Finally keep that
appointment?

Moose